Wednesday, December 12, 2012

DOWN A CAROLINA ROAD 

"I got more than just my breakfast at the drive thru window"

sharing the real spirit of Christmas


One day this week I was having what you might call a hectic and challenging day and I had not even had my second cup of coffee yet!  Ugh!  I zoomed through a  local drive thru fast food chain and ordered a tall coffee and my favorite breakfast item.  I was having a hard time locating enough change to pay the cashier, could not locate my debit card and was getting a bit frustrated with the way the day was shaping up.  

The cashier was patient as I apologized as I was rambling through my purse and praying that I had not lost my debit card and where in the world was that change I knew I had in my side pocket?  Finally, I recovered the change, handed her the money and she stopped and looked at me and smiled.  I smiled back and said thank you.  I was just about to proceed to the next window to pick up my order and she said to me  . . .

"are you ready for Christmas?"   
me:  "My goodness NO!  I have so much to get done,
 but it will happen"
cashier:  "But are you ready for the true meaning of Christmas"  (with a smile again)
me:  "Yes, I am ready for that!  We do celebrate CHRISTmas indeed!"
cashier:  "That is what is important,  I sure hope that God blesses you and your family and you have a wonderful Christmas"
me:  "Thank you.  You just made my day better."

That cashier did something few people are brave enough to do with a stranger . . . wish them MERRY CHRISTMAS, recognize the true meaning of the season, ask if you knew what the TRUE meaning of Christmas is and then proclaimed a prayer - May GOD bless you and your family at Christmas.

He keeps sending me angels!  There are angels all around us!  Those quick exchange of words made my entire day turn around!  Yes, I have so much to do for preparation of Christmas, and yes at that time I was facing some challenges in my day.  But that cashier found a way to not only proclaim her faith, make sure I had the same faith and asked for a blessing for us.  I wonder if she really knew how much of a blessing her words were to me?  Somehow I think she did and I certainly must have looked like I needed to hear it too! There was not enough time to continue to chat as the line was long behind me.  I just looked at her and said "THANK YOU" again and drove up to the next window to pick up my meal. 

In the busy rush of Christmas we need to remember that a simple little thing can help you catch the Christmas spirit!  When you bring out that Christmas china, or just plastic dinner ware of red, when you hang the heirloom stockings or just some you picked up at the local dollar tree, when you cook that divine meal, or just decide to have pizza, when you look all over for the hottest trend for a gift, or give a simple Christmas card instead . . . 

No matter your income, status, or what type of tree you have or not. . . we all have our own unique way of spreading Christmas cheer.  Find your unique way and embrace it . . . share it . . . just like the sweet cashier that delivered more than breakfast to me at the drive thru!  I must say that was the best breakfast I have had in a long time . . . and it did not cost her a thing to give me that gift!

Prayer:   Thank you God for your words breathed into your children and the courage they have to be bold and share them with others.  May we all proclaim your birth and your coming during this season of Christmas.  May we be quiet and slow down long enough to experience the true meaning of what your birth really means to us.    We ask that you give us peace, comfort and joy during this time and that we find time to offer you the praise and adoration you so richly deserve.  In the name of Jesus we ask these things.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment